I'm sure there's already lots of writing on this topic, but it's something that's been swirling around my mind for quite a while, and a text from a girlfriend (who will not be named by request) prompted me to try to get to the bottom of this.
What has happened to commitment?
I'm not talking marriage; I'm talking basic commitments to various social gatherings. I can name specifically three events organized by dear friends which had attendee lists of over fifteen people, and nearly every single person bowed out within 24 hours prior to the event. How is that fair? How is that possible?
My heart broke for one girlfriend, who organized an amazing Pampered Chef party. I'm not a huge fan of home-based business parties because I'm a huge sucker for spending money on stuff I'll probably never use (although my Norwex has gotten great use). But I agreed to attend this party, and it was organized beautifully. I couldn't believe the amount of work put into setting everything up.
I also couldn't believe my friend's phone dinging like crazy fifteen minutes before the party was meant to start, with "sorry, but"s, and "I know I said I'd be there, but"s...
But nothing.
Call. Don't text. And don't commit if you aren't 100% sure you can make it. Puking kid? That's a reasonable excuse. Unbelievable migraine? Sure. But for some reason, it seems like more and more people are just deciding randomly not to attend an event to which they already committed. Is it just me, or is this becoming epidemic?
If I've ever bailed on you, call me on it. I'm not perfect, and I understand not really wanting to attend something I committed to. But I did learn from a dear colleague many years ago the importance of saying "no" to begin with, instead of cancelling last minute via text and leaving a hostess feeling like all her work is for naught.
No comments:
Post a Comment